Thursday, December 22, 2011

Merry Christmas ~ Where has the Time Gone?

     It’s already the week of Christmas and I feel like Thanksgiving was only two weeks ago.  Time has slipped away.  I’ve been busy with work, family, church and all the other aspects of life that tend to fill the hours of the day.
     This is my favorite time of the year, but it all washed by in a twinkling neon blur.  I missed many things in these last few months, but I’ve also written a great deal and learned much along the way.  I’d like to take a look at how my time expenditure has changed.
     Finding time in a busy day to write is proving more challenging than I remembered.  In college it was easy.  There was always time to write.  In between classes I would draft a scene for a screenplay or during a lecture on mythology I would write action scenes.  It was easy, there was time built in to the day for “studying” with breaks between classes.  There was nowhere to run; there was always time.
     Now that I’m a “grown up” with a job, a home and a wife I seem to find myself with less spare time to fill with creative activities.  I don not mean to, in any way, diminish the blessings I have, like a job, a home and a wife.  These forces, if you will, play within me and all vie for my time.  I enjoy each piece and I have trouble telling one aspect “no” to spend time on another.  I guess what I’m truly missing is the peace of mind that comes with balance.
     Starting this blog and forcing myself to write has been a good learning experience, in life and the grueling discipline of constant creativity.  On one hand I need to create and find interesting material, but on the other I need to spend time in the world and live my life.  I’ve learned some of my limits and that painting myself in to a corner is not always the best practice for completing a project.  In the few short months since the inception of this blog, I’ve learned how difficult it truly is to tell a great story and maintain sanity.
     So… with that, I’m signing off for 2011 and I will be enjoying time with friends and family.  I suggest you do the same~

Thank you for reading this and I hope you have a great holiday and a happy new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment